Go Back   Forums > Main Category > General Discussion

My experience and general life advice for everyone
Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM
Junior Forum Member

Default My experience and general life advice for everyone

Hi guys,

One thing I can recommend to anyone and everyone in general is longterm travel. Last year I quit my job bc I didn't want to live a boring life, 40 years in the 'rat race' and retire miserable. I decided to travel for a year with nothing but a backpack, starting out in New Zealand (a good warm up country for backpackers). I had no plans, no idea of what I was going to do, where I was going to go or anything. That btw, is the best way to travel, no schedule, no restrictions. My only goal was to learn more about life, and myself. I accomplished much more than that.

Within the last year, I've learned so much about life, girls, traveling, countries, business, adaptability, religion, politics, corruption, bargaining, you name it. Things you can only learn by experiencing it, not by reading it. The poorer and more exotic the countries I went to, the more of a man I became. I had to, otherwise you won't make it there, there is little to no organization, a ton of hustlers and a wild exciting adventure! I loved it. There was good times as well as bad, I am more thankful for the bad experiences bc it was a learning experience and helped my self development to reach a higher level.

Unfortunately its not in american culture to drop everything and travel to strange countries for a year, (all Europeans do it as a rite of passage though). I highly recommend it, I am a 100% new Man now. With all that I experienced, nothing gets to me now, especially the things that affected me a lot before the trip, I laugh at it now. btw, in over 12 months, I only spent around $5,000 total, including flights, food, accommodation, travel gear etc. Funny how most people spend more than that in a month and are living in misery.

My advice is do it, FOR YOU! Who knows what you'll experience, where you'll go, who you'll meet and who you'll become when you come back... Let it be your own unique journey. Its a life experience I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world. My freedom is more important to me than any job or financial obligations. Do it, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You won't regret it.

Btw, Yes I did hook up with girls. A little advice on that topic... seriously BE YOURSELF. You'll be alright, make mistakes and learn.

The following are 2 quotes for extra motivation.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
M. Twain

"As you journey through life, choose your destinations well, but do not hurry there. Avoid the shortcuts... wander the back roads... enjoy the scenery. And remember that the true worth of your travels lies not in the destination but in who you come to be along the way." Anonymous
Re: My experience and general life advice for everyone
Old 03-12-2012, 04:16 PM

This. Is. Awesome.

It's great to read stuff like this. Congrats!